The following groups of typically developing children are given first priority in admission to the preschool:
- Returning preschool students
- Age-eligible siblings of returning preschool students
- Siblings of returning preschool students with disabilities
- Children of employees of Centerville City Schools
All other openings in the preschool are filled by lottery from among those who are registered. Generally speaking, students will be accepted based on their lottery draw; however, the needs of the program may override this general principle. For example, the age and gender composition of each class will generally reflect Centerville’s student population.
Returning preschool students or students wishing to participate in the 2023-24 lottery must meet the following requirements:
- Children must be 3 years of age on or before Sept. 30, 2023. A birth certificate is required. Children who are 5 years of age on or before Sept. 30, 2023, are not eligible for preschool as they are eligible for kindergarten.
- Families must reside within the geographical boundaries of the Centerville City School District. Proof of residency is required.
- Children participating in our Ohio Department of Education (ODE) licensed preschool will be screened per state of Ohio mandates in the areas of cognitive/pre-academic, motor, language, self-help and social-emotional skills in June 2023, within 60 business days of attending school and annually thereafter in the fall.
- Children participating must submit a current physical every 13 months of enrollment per ODE licensure. Failure to have current physical on file may result in exit from the program.
- Children must be toilet trained, have well-developed language skills and acceptable social skills. A peer model must be able to follow directions, adhere to classroom rules and accept teacher guidance. Students who are unable to meet these requirements may be dismissed from the program.
You must complete an application between Feb. 1-10, 2023, to be eligible for the lottery for the 2023-24 school year.
Here are some important dates:
- Wednesday, Feb. 1 – Preschool lottery registration opens at 8 a.m. Forms will be available on this web page or at PVN or PVS the first week of February.
- Friday, Feb. 10 – Lottery applications will be accepted through 3 p.m. Wait list applications will continue to be accepted throughout the 2023-24 school year in case additional openings become available.
- on or about Wednesday, Feb. 15 – The lottery will be conducted.
- on or about Tuesday, Feb. 21 – Families will be notified if their child is selected.
- June – Students chosen through the lottery will be invited to attend a mini preschool class as a screening for possible placement. Parents will be able to stay to learn more about the program.
If the lottery has taken place and you are still interested in your typically developing child attending Centerville's preschool, you may complete the wait list application (available on Feb. 10, 2023). When and if openings arise, lottery participants and wait list applications are called in the order by lottery number drawn and/or date of wait list application.